WILMORE, Ky. – Kyle Rago (JR/Berrien Springs, Michigan) tossed a complete game in game one of today's twinbill to lead the Titans to a 6-4 series-clinching win over Asbury University. Rago surrendered four runs on 11 hits to pick up his first win of the season.
In the nightcap, Asbury won 9-8 on a walk-off single through the infield.
- GAME 1: IU South Bend def. Asbury, 6-4
- GAME 2: Asbury def. IU South Bend, 9-8
- Records: IU South Bend 3-3 | Asbury 6-6
- Location: Cecil Zweifel Field | Asbury University | Wilmore, Kentucky
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Rago tossed the first complete game of the year for the Titans and walked no Asbury hitters.
- Spencer McCool (SO/Anderson, Indiana) and Zack Lazenby (JR/Chesterfield, Missouri) each recorded two hits and an RBI.
- Sammy Nieves (SR/Canovanas, Puerto Rico) and Matt Miller (FR/Middlebury, Indiana) each recorded an RBI in the win.
- IU South Bend trailed 4-2 going into the fifth and plated four runs in top half of the fifth inning
- Nick Kellams (JR/Dyer, Indiana) picked up his second hit of the season with a pinch-hit single in the top of the seventh inning.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Kevin Phelps (SR/Portage, Michigan) drove in three runs in the loss.
- McCool's bat remained hot, collecting three hits and an RBI.
- IU South Bend took a 4-2 lead in the top of the second inning but Asbury evened the score in the bottom half.
- Phelps had an RBI triple in the top of the fourth to give the Titans a 5-4 advantage but the Eagles pushed three across in the bottom half to take a 7-5 lead.
- Trailing 8-5 after five complete, the Titans evened the game at eight. Phelps belted a two-RBI triple, his second triple of the game. Austin Thomas (SO/Crown Point, Indiana)' RBI single scored Phelps and sent the game to the bottom of the seventh inning.
- Asbury scored a seeing-eye single to end the game and walk-off with a 9-8 victory over the Titans.
The Titans will play host to Rochester College next weekend at Grand Park in Westfield, Indiana.