WESTFIELD, Ind. – Game one against Rochester College on Sunday ended in walk-off fashion in favor of the Titans. Trailing by a run, 6-5, going into the bottom of the seventh, the Titans pushed two runs across, the last one coming on a wild pitch to end the game and propel IU South Bend to a 7-6 victory and series-clinching win.
IU South Bend got off to a slow start in game two, but the bats came alive late as the Titans scored five runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to come from behind and defeat the Warriors 8-4 and complete the weekend sweep.
The Titans move to 6-3 on the season.
- Game 1: IU South Bend def. Rochester, 7-6
- Game 2: IU South Bend def. Rochester 8-4
- Records: IU South Bend 6-3 | Rochester 3-9
- Location: Grand Park | Westfield, Indiana
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- IU South Bend scored five runs in the first two innings and led 5-1.
- Rochester plated three runs in the top of the sixth frame to even the game at five and one in the top of the seventh to take the lead.
- Three walks led off the top of the seventh inning for the Titans. Damon DeJesus (SR/Fort Wayne, Indiana) flipped one into right field. There was a force out at second on the play but Zack Lazenby (JR/Chesterfield, Missouri) scored to tie the game at six.
- Austin Thomas (SO/Crown Point, Indiana) scored on a wild pitch to end the game.
- Spencer McCool (SO/Anderson, Indiana) and DeJesus each recorded two hits.
- Sammy Nieves (SR/Canovanas, Puerto Rico) had two RBI.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Trailing 3-1, the Titan defense cut down two runs at the plate in the top half of the second inning.
- Matt Miller (FR/Middlebury, Indiana) made it a two-run game with a solo home run in the bottom of the sixth inning, his third home run of the season.
- Kevin Phelps (SR/Portage, Michigan) ripped a two-out triple into the left centerfield gap to score pinch-runner Alex Leiter (SO/Buchanan, Michigan), making it a 4-3 game in the bottom of the sixth.
- Ben Wicklund (JR/Rockford, Illinois) gave the Titans six strong innings, allowing nine hits and four runs while striking out eight.
- The Titans scored five runs in the bottom of the eighth inning, aided by three Rochester errors to take an 8-4 lead.
- Tyler Reece (SO/South Bend, Indiana) picked up the win, tossing three innings allowing three hits.
- IU South Bend will head south on Wednesday for their spring trip in the Orlando, Florida area. The Titans will open up with a four-game series at Ave Maria University starting Friday, March 10. Live video and stats for this series can be found here: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/avemaria/