AVE MARIA, Fla. – The Titan bats were silenced in the series opener against Ave Maria University on day one of the Indiana University South Bend baseball team's spring break trip. The Titans mounted a comeback in the top of the seventh inning, but fell short falling 4-3 to the Gyrenes.
IU South Bend found themselves playing from behind again in game two but managed to even the game at five in the top of the sixth inning. However, the Gyrenes regained the lead with an RBI single in the bottom of the sixth inning to give AMU a 6-5 lead but the Titans tied the game in the top of the seventh inning before eventually falling on a walk-off single.
- Game 1: Ave Maria def. IU South Bend, 4-3
- Game 2: Ave Maria def. IU South Bend 7-6
- Records: IU South Bend 6-5, Ave Maria 13-14
- Location: Ave Maria, Florida | Bowie's Ballpark
Game 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Zack Lazenby (JR/Chesterfield, Missouri) put the Titans on the board first with a sacrifice fly to score Brandon Papp (JR/Akron, Ohio) who reached on a single, stole second, and advanced to third on a Matt Miller (FR/Middlebury, Indiana) single.
- Ave Maria answered with two runs in the bottom half of the second inning on a wild pitch and an RBI single.
- The Gyrenes added two more runs in the bottom of the fifth inning to extend their lead to 4-1.
- Mangus knocked in two runs in the top of the seventh inning to make it a 4-3 game but the Gyrenes cut down Papp at third base to end the game.
- Mangus finished 2-for-3 with two RBI in the loss.
- Trey Bickel (SR/Mishawaka, Indiana) went the distance, earning the loss, allowing four runs on five hits while striking out six Gyrene batters. Bickel moves to 1-2 on the year.
Game 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Titans put pressure on the Gyrenes defense in the top of the fourth frame forcing them into two errors that resulted in a Mangus run to give IU South Bend a 1-0 lead. But in the bottom half of the inning the Gyrenes plated two runs with the help of a Titan error.
- Lazenby recorded his sacrifice fly of the day in the top of the fifth to even the game at two but once again the Gyrenes answered, scoring three runs in the bottom half of the fifth on a three-run home run to take a 5-2 lead.
- Three consecutive singles from Papp, Mangus, and Lazenby plated three Titans to tie the game at five and chase another AMU pitcher out of the game.
- The Titans surrendered another run in the bottom of the sixth inning to head to their final at-bat trailing 6-5.
- Papp earned a bases loaded walk to tie the game at six apiece in the seventh inning.
- The Gyrenes scored for the fourth consecutive inning to win on a walk-off single, 7-6.
- Jordan Moore (FR/Flat Rock, Michigan) was the pitcher of decision for the Titans, taking the loss and moving to 1-1 on the year.
- The series continues tomorrow as the Titans and Gyrenes battle in a doubleheader at Bowie's Ballpark. First pitch of the doubleheader is set for 11:00 a.m.