AVE MARIA, Fla. – The Indiana University South Bend baseball team earned a split on Saturday as they concluded their series with Ave Maria University. The Titans dropped game one 11-2 and bounced back to win 9-8, scoring two runs late to secure a win to avoid the sweep.
- Game 1: Ave Maria def. IU South Bend, 11-2
- Game 2: IU South Bend def. Ave Maria, 9-8
- Records: IU South Bend 7-6 | Ave Maria 14-15
- Location: Ave Maria, Florida | Bowie's Ballpark
Game 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Eric Calip (SO/Bollingbrook, Illinois) got the start for the Titans and had a tough outing lasting just 2.1 innings allowing eight runs on five hits and walking four Gyrene batters.
- Chris Mangus (SR/Niles, Michigan) continued his eight-game hitting streak going 2-for-4 with an RBI in the loss.
- IU South Bend plated one run in the third and one in the fourth but trailed 8-1 after four and a half innings.
- Zane Gonzalez (JR/Grand Rapids, Michigan) made his second appearance of the season, tossing an inning of no-hit baseball.
Game 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Damon DeJesus (SR/Fort Wayne, Indiana) roped a two-RBI double in the top of the second inning to tie the game at two runs apiece.
- DeJesus doubled again in the top of the fourth, scoring two runs to give the Titans a two-run advantage.
- After Ave Maria plated five runs to go ahead 7-4, the Titans offense answered in the top of the sixth inning to bring the score even at seven.
- The Gyrenes pushed one across in the bottom of the sixth but the Titans scored two in the top of the seventh on a passed ball and an RBI single from Spencer McCool (SO/Anderson, Indiana) to put IU South Bend back in front.
- Tyler Reece (SO/South Bend, Indiana) tossed the final 2.1 innings earning the win, allowing just one run on three hits.
- DeJesus finished 2-for-3 with four RBI in the win.
- The Titans will return to action on Monday as they take on Warner University. First pitch of the doubleheader is scheduled for 1:30 p.m.