CLERMONT, Fla. – The Indiana University South Bend softball team recorded the first win in program history on Saturday afternoon as they defeated Viterbo University by a score of 6-2. In the nightcap, the Titans fell to the University of Saint Francis (IN), 10-3.
- Game 1: IU South Bend def. Viterbo, 6-2
- Game 2: USF def. IU South Bend, 10-3
- Records: IU South Bend 1-1 | Viterbo 1-11 | Saint Francis (IN) 3-3
- Location: Clermont, Florida | Hancock Park
Game 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Titans struck early and often in the first game in program history.
- Kaylee Warner (FR/Elkhart, Indiana) got things going with a single in the first inning and came around to score on a Maddy Hovious (SO/North Vernon, Indiana) triple.
- IU South Bend busted the game open in the top half of the fifth inning, scoring four runs to take a 5-2 advantage.
- Brooke Boss (SO/Delavan, Wisconsin) led off the sixth frame with a single and would later score on a Kat Bessler (FR/Brookston, Indiana) single.
- Bessler and Warner each finished with two hits.
- Delaney Cole (FR/Osceola, Indiana) picked up the win for IU South Bend
Game 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Taylor Astell (FR/Brownsburg, Indiana) and Brooke Miller (SO/Goshen, Indiana) went 2-for-4 in the loss.
- Hovious roped a two-RBI double in the bottom of the fourth inning to make it a 4-3 game but the Cougars plated six runs in the top of the fifth inning to make it a 10-3 game in favor of USF.
- Nichole Kirkpatrick (FR/South Bend, Indiana) was in the circle for the Titans as she picked up the loss.
- The Titans return to the diamond tomorrow to take on Viterbo and North Park University. Game one is set to begin at 8:00 a.m. with game two to follow.