LAKE WALES, Fla. – After putting up four runs in the second inning, the Indiana University South Bend baseball team was not able to get anything going over the last five innings as they fell 6-4 to the host Warner University Royals.
IU South Bend's pitching struggles continued in game two as the Titans allowed 12 runs in the first three innings, including eight in the bottom of the third inning. The deficit proved to be too much for the Titans as they dropped game two by a score of 14-5.
- Game 1: Warner def. IU South Bend, 6-4
- Game 2: Warner def. IU South Bend, 14-5
- Records: IU South Bend 7-8 | Warner 15-18
- Location: Lake Wales, Florida | Royals Baseball Field
Game 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Zack Lazenby (JR/Chesterfield, Missouri) belted his first home run of the year to give the Titans an early 1-0 lead in the top of the second inning.
- IU South Bend tacked on three more runs in the same inning off a Warner error and an RBI single from Kevin Phelps (SR/Portage, Michigan).
- Warner left a runner stranded after pushing three runs across via a home run, an errant throw on a pickoff attempt, and an RBI triple to make it a 4-3 contest after three complete.
- The Royals chased IU South starter Tyler Reece (SO/South Bend, Indiana) from the game after three innings. Brett Bashaw (SO/Kalamazoo, Michigan) relieved Reece and gave up one run before giving way to Andy Ross (FR/Middlebury, Indiana) with the game tied at four.
- Warner added another run in the bottom of the fifth on a two-out RBI double from Xanders Vazquez which ended Ross' day. An IU South Bend error allowed Warner to score another run to stretch its lead to 6-4.
- The Titans went scoreless over the last five innings to fall 6-4.
- IU South Bend has now lost four of their last five games.
Game 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Warner picked up where they left off in game one as they scored three runs in the bottom of the first and one run in the bottom of the second to take an early 4-0 lead in game two.
- The Royals busted the game open in the bottom of the third inning, scoring eight runs to make it 12-0.
- Wesp got the Titans on the board in the top of the fourth inning with a two-RBI triple that scored Sammy Nieves (SR/Canovanas, Puerto Rico) and Drew McDonald (SO/North Liberty, Indiana).
- IU South Bend gave Warner two runs back in the bottom of the fourth on an RBI double and a sacrifice fly. Titans trailed 14-2 after four complete.
- Chris Mangus (SR/Niles, Michigan) blasted his fourth home run of the year in the fifth inning, a solo shot, making it 14-3.
- After a leadoff double, Nieves scored on a fielder's choice by TJ DeHerrera (FR/Bolingbrook, Illinois) who came on to pinch hit in the top of the sixth.
- The Titans added one more run in the top of the seventh inning on an RBI double from McDonald.
- Nieves finished 3-for-4 with two runs scored. Mangus went 2-for-4 and Wesp finished with two hits and two RBI.
- IU South Bend has now lost five of its last six games.
- The Titans will wrap up their spring trip on Wednesday as they play Purdue Northwest at 12:30 p.m. and (RV) Webber International at 7:00 p.m.