CLERMONT, Fla. – Nichole Kirkpatrick (FR/South Bend, Indiana) tossed a complete game on Tuesday morning to help the Indiana University South Bend softball team to a 3-2 victory over College of Saint Mary's (Neb.). Kirkpatrick allowed just two runs on seven hits and struck out four Flames batters.
In game two the Titans scored in four of the seven innings en route to a 6-3 victory and sweep of the Flames. IU South Bend racked up a season-high 13 hits against the Flames pitching staff.
- Game 1: IU South Bend def. CSM, 3-2
- Game 2: IU South Bend def. CSM, 6-3
- Records: IU South Bend 3-2 | CSM 3-7
- Location: Clermont, Florida | Legends Way Park
Game 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- CSM struck first in the opening frame, scoring a run on a bunt to take a 1-0 lead.
- Brittany Probasco (JR/Hobart, Indiana) evened the game at one in the bottom of the first inning with an RBI double, scoring Taylor Astell (FR/Brownsburg, Indiana).
- The Astell/Probasco duo struck again in the third as Astell scored on a Probasco sacrifice fly to put the Titans in front 2-1.
- Kat Bessler (FR/Brookston, Indiana) singled home Shannon McCarty (SO/South Bend, Indiana) in the fourth inning to extend the IU South Bend lead to 3-1.
- A solo home run from the Flames' Brittney Banks made it a one-run game in the sixth inning.
- Kirkpatrick sat the Flames down in order in the top of the seventh to secure the victory for the Titans.
- Probasco finished 1-for-2 with two RBI.
Game 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- IU South Bend got on the board first with two runs in the top of the second.
- The Titans added a run in the fourth inning when McCarty scored on an error by the CSM shorstop.
- In the fifth inning, the Flames scored two runs on errors by the Titans.
- Maddy Hovious (SO/North Vernon, Indiana) singled home Astell in the sixth to extend the IU South Bend lead to 6-2 heading into the final inning.
- After going 1-2-3 in the top of the seventh the Titans gave up a run in the bottom half but stopped the Flames from getting any closer.
- Six Titans finished with two hits while Hovious recorded two RBI.
- Delaney Cole (FR/Osceola, Indiana) earned the win for the Titans tossing a complete game.
- IU South Bend returns to the diamond on Wednesday to face Concordia University (MI) at 12:00 p.m. and the University of Northwestern Ohio at 2:00 p.m.