CLERMONT, Fla. – The Indiana University South Bend softball team showed some toughness today as they came back from a 6-0 deficit to defeat Concordia University (MI) 7-6 in eight innings.
In game two, the Titans got down early, 8-0 and mounted a comeback that fell just short as IU South Bend fell 8-6 to the University of Northwestern Ohio
- Game 1: IU South Bend def. Concordia, 7-6 (8 inn.)
- Game 2: Northwestern Ohio def. IU South Bend, 8-6
- Records: IU South Bend 5-3 | CUAA 5-12, UNOH 10-5
- Location: Clermont, Florida | Mineola Park
Game 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Concordia plated two runs in the bottom of the second and one in the third to take an early 3-0 lead.
- The Cardinals had a big fourth inning as they plated three runs to extend their lead to 6-0.
- The Titans bats came alive in the sixth inning as they scored four runs on six hits in the frame.
- IU South Bend added more runs in the seventh inning as Shannon McCarty (SO/South Bend, Indiana) started a rally with a leadoff double, followed by back-to-back singles from Brooke Miller (SO/Goshen, Indiana) and Brittany Probasco (JR/Hobart, Indiana). The Titans added two runs to tie the game at six.
- In extra innings, and Taylor Long (JR/Goshen, Indiana) on second base, McCarty singled to score the go-ahead run.
- Nichole Kirkpatrick (FR/South Bend, Indiana) closed the door in the bottom of the eighth inning as she left a Cardinal runner stranded. Kirkpatrick earned the win, throwing a complete game.
- McCarty finished 4-for-5 with two runs scored and an RBI.
- Brooke Boss (SO/Delavan, Wisconsin) went 3-for-5 while Miller and Probasco each went 2-for-4 in the win.
Game 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- UNOH started fast as they scored eight runs in the top of the second inning.
- A big fifth inning got the Titans right back in the game as Maddy Hovious (SO/North Vernon, Indiana) belted a two-RBI double to bring IU South Bend within four runs.
- Probasco singled home Brooke Miller in the sixth inning to make it an 8-5 game. Probasco later came around to score to bring the Titans within two runs.
- IU South Bend had chances in their final at-bat as they left three runners stranded to end the game.
- Miller finished 3-for-4 while Probasco was 2-for-4 with an RBI.
- IU South Bend will close out its spring break trip with a doubleheader on Friday. Game one the Titans will look for revenge against Northwestern Ohio and then the Titans will take on College of Saint Mary's in the nightcap.