SOUTH BEND, Ind. – The Indiana University South Bend softball team split a pair of Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference contests today as they hosted Robert Morris University Illinois. After winning game one, the Titans were plagued by four errors in game two.
- Game 1: IU South Bend def. RMU, 6-4
- Game 2: RMU def. IU South Bend, 7-3
- Records: IU South Bend 6-6 | RMU 4-11
- Location: South Bend, Ind. | Potawotami Park
Game 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Robert Morris struck first in the top of the opening frame as they tagged IU South Bend starter Nichole Kirkpatrick (FR/South Bend, Indiana) for two runs. Kirkpatrick recorded just one out before being lifted for Delaney Cole (FR/Osceola, Indiana).
- Brittany Probasco (JR/Hobart, Indiana) and Taylor Long (JR/Goshen, Indiana) each recorded an RBI in the Titans' half of the second inning to even the game at two.
- Probasco drove in two more runs in the third followed by an RBI single from Kat Witting (JR/Lynwood, Illinois) to put IU South Bend in front 5-2.
- Shannon McCarty (SO/South Bend, Indiana) added another run for the Titans in the fourth frame as she singled home Maddy Hovious (SO/North Vernon, Indiana) who reached on a double to make it 6-2.
- The Eagles added a run in the fifth and one in the seventh but Cole was able to stop the threat to seal the Titans first CCAC victory in school history.
- Probasco finished 2-for-2 with three RBI.
- Three other Titans registered multi-hit games.
Game 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Eagles roughed up IU South Bend starter Philny Llewellyn (JR/Willemstad, Curacao), scoring three runs in the first inning.
- McCarty picked up an RBI in the bottom of the first to cut the Eagle lead to 3-1.
- RMU bats stayed hot as they tacked on two runs, aided by two IU South Bend errors in the third inning.
- Kirkpatrick came on in relief in the top of the fourth inning and sat the Eagles down in order.
- In the fifth, the Eagles got to Kirkpatrick as they added two runs to extend their lead to 7-1.
- IU South Bend didn't go away as McCarty and Brooke Miller (SO/Goshen, Indiana) each drove in runs to cut the Titan deficit to 7-3 in the sixth inning.
- The Titans were not able to get anything going in the seventh as they fell 7-3 to the Eagles.
- McCarty finished 2-for-3 with two RBI.
- The Titans travel to Trinity International University on Tuesday to face the Trojans in a CCAC doubleheader.