SOUTH BEND, Ind. – After somewhat of a pitcher's duel in the opening contest, the nightcap turned into an offensive explosion for the Indiana University South Bend baseball team. The offense exploded for 18 runs on 15 hits in game two.
- Game 1: IU South Bend def. TIU, 4-1
- Game 2: IU South Bend def. TIU, 18-4
- Records: IU South Bend 9-10, 2-0 CCAC | TIU 8-10, 0-2 CCAC
- Location: South Bend, Ind. | School Field
Game 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Trey Bickel (SR/Mishawaka, Indiana) was dominant in the opening game as he went six innings, allowing just one hit while striking out six.
- Zane Gonzalez (JR/Grand Rapids, Michigan) pitched a hitless inning of relief in the win.
- Chris Mangus (SR/Niles, Michigan) started the scoring for the Titans with an RBI double and would later come around to score on a Sammy Nieves (SR/Canovanas, Puerto Rico) single to give IU South Bend a 2-0 lead after four innings.
- TIU added a run in the fifth on a solo blast from Michael Balistreri.
- IU South Bend added one in the fifth and one in the sixth to make it a 4-1 game.
- Gonzalez retired the side in order in the top of the seventh to close the game out.
Game 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Kevin Phelps (SR/Portage, Michigan) finished 4-for-5 as the Titans scored 18 runs.
- The Titans took an early 4-0 lead in the bottom of the third when Nieves belted a three-run homer over the left field all. But gave all four runs back in the top of the fourth.
- Brandon Papp (JR/Akron, Ohio) and Spencer McCool (SO/Anderson, Indiana) each drove in two runs in the bottom of the fifth inning as part of a nine-run inning for the Titans offense.
- The Titans were not done there as they put up five runs in the fifth, three of which came from a McCool three-run blast to extend their lead to 18-4.
- McCool finished with six RBI while Nieves added four and Brandon Papp recorded three.
- The Titans travel to Huntington University on Tuesday to take on the Forresters in non-conference action.