WHEELING, Ill. – The Indiana University South Bend softball team moved to 8-6 on the year with a sweep over Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference opponent, Trinity International University. The two CCAC victories pushed the Titans conference record to 3-1.
Game 1: IU South Bend def. TIU, 1-0
Game 2: IU South Bend def. TIU, 6-3
Records: IU South Bend 8-6, 3-1 | TIU 2-14, 0-4 CCAC
Location: Wheeling, Ill. | Heritage Park Athletic Complex
Game 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Nichole Kirkpatrick (FR/South Bend, Indiana) earned the win in the pitcher's duel as she tossed a complete game, allowing seven hits and striking out three Trojan batters.
- Maddy Hovious (SO/North Vernon, Indiana) drove in the Titans lone run as she scored Taylor Astell (FR/Brownsburg, Indiana) who reached on a hit by pitch and stole second and third.
- Kaylee Warner (FR/Elkhart, Indiana) and Taylor Long (JR/Goshen, Indiana) each recorded a hit.
- Kirkpatrick stranded two TIU runners in both the third and fourth inning to keep the Titans in front.
- IU South Bend loaded the bases in the sixth inning but TIU escaped unscathed.
Game 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- TIU struck first scoring a run in the bottom of the first inning but the Titans answered in the top of the second to plate two runs as Kat Witting (JR/Lynwood, Illinois) and Kat Bessler (FR/Brookston, Indiana) each put the ball in the play to bring home a run each.
- In the third inning, Hovious plated a run with a groundout to second base as Astell reached on a single and eventually stole third base. Later in the inning Shannon McCarty (SO/South Bend, Indiana) drove home Brooke Boss (SO/Delavan, Wisconsin) after Boss reached on a single to centerfield.
- The Titans added to their lead as Bessler brought two runs in the sixth with an RBI double.
- TIU added two runs in the seventh to make it a 6-3 game.
- Delaney Cole (FR/Osceola, Indiana) threw a complete game to earn the win.
- No time for rest as the Titans host Cardinal Stritch University tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. at Potawatomi Park.