SOUTH BEND, Ind. – The Titans struggled continued on Saturday as they dropped a pair of CCAC games to the University of St. Francis.
Game 1: USF def. IU South Bend, 11-6
Game 2: USF def. IU South Bend, 5-4
Records: IU South Bend, 9-14, 2-4 CCAC | USF 19-12, 4-1 CCAC
Location: South Bend, Indiana | School Field
Game 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- An IU South Bend error in the top of first inning led to a Fighting Saints run, giving USF an early 1-0 lead.
- Kevin Phelps (SR/Portage, Michigan) blasted a leadoff homerun in the bottom of the first frame to even the game at one.
- Chris Mangus (SR/Niles, Michigan) scored Brandon Papp (JR/Akron, Ohio) from first base after Papp walked to give IU South Bend a 2-1 lead. Sammy Nieves (SR/Canovanas, Puerto Rico) extended the Titan lead to 3-1 after a single, scoring Mangus.
- Tom Smith belted a three-run blast in the top of the second give the Fighting Saints the lead back.
- With the IU South Bend infield drawn in the USF designated hitter drove in two runs to extend the Fighting Saint lead to 7-3 after two and a half innings.
- Spencer McCool (SO/Anderson, Indiana) added two runs with his fourth home run of the year in the bottom of the third inning to cut the USF lead to 7-5.
- Zane Gonzalez (JR/Grand Rapids, Michigan) retired the Saints in order in the top of the fourth to hold USF scoreless in an inning for the first time all game.
- The top of the sixth inning started with a hit batsman that eventually came around to score to make it an 8-5 game.
- Mangus added a run for the Titans in the bottom of the seventh with a solo blast, his fifth of the season.
Game 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Nieves put the Titans on the board with an RBI single in the bottom half of the second inning.
- McCool launched his second home run of the day and fifth of the year to add to the Titans lead in the bottom of the fourth inning.
- IU South Bend starting pitcher Trey Bickel (SR/Mishawaka, Indiana) carried a no-hitter into the top of the sixth inning that was broken up by a fly ball that fell in shallow centerfield.
- Pat Michalak gave the Fighting Saints a 3-2 with a three-run bomb over the centerfield wall in the top of the seventh inning.
- Mangus drove in Alex Leiter (SO/Buchanan, Michigan) after Leiter came on to courtesy run for Damon DeJesus (SR/Fort Wayne, Indiana) in the bottom of the eighth to even the game at three.
- USF pushed two across in the top of the ninth inning to take a 5-3 lead as the Titans were down to their last three outs.
- TJ DeHerrera (FR/Bolingbrook, Illinois) came on to pinch hit in the bottom of the ninth and ripped a double into the right-centerfield gap. DeHerrera would score on a Matt Miller (FR/Middlebury, Indiana) single up the middle to make it a 5-4 game.
- The game-tying run was cut down at the plate after Phelps hit a ground ball to second base that was bobbled. Matt Miller kept wheeling around third base and was tagged out at the plate to end the game.
- The Titans will continue CCAC action on Sunday as they travel to the University of St. Francis to close out the three-game series. First pitch is set for 2:00 p.m. EDT.