CHICAGO, Ill. – After scoring nine runs in game one to defeat Saint Xavier University, the Indiana University South Bend softball team struggled to score runs in game two as they fell 9-1 to the host Cougars.
Game 1: IU South Bend def. SXU, 9-1
Game 2: SXU def. IU South Bend, 9-1
Records: IU South Bend, 10-8, 5-3 CCAC | SXU 14-14, 4-4 CCAC
Location: Chicago, Illinois | SXU Softball Field
Game 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Taylor Astell (FR/Brownsburg, Indiana) drew a walk to lead off the game and stole second. Brooke Boss (SO/Delavan, Wisconsin) doubled to left-center to score Astell, giving the Titans an early 1-0 lead.
- Taylor Long (JR/Goshen, Indiana) laid down a sacrifice bunt to move runners to second and third with two outs in the top of the second. Astell singled scoring Brooke Miller (SO/Goshen, Indiana). Boss then ripped a double to right-center scoring two. Maddy Hovious (SO/North Vernon, Indiana) followed up with a double to score Boss putting the Titans up 5-0
- Kaylee Warner (FR/Elkhart, Indiana) picked up an RBI in the top of the third inning. Astell then singled up the middle scoring two runs to extend the IU South Bend lead to 8-0.
- A sacrifice fly got the Cougars on the board in the bottom of the third inning to make it an 8-1 game.
- Hovious scored on a throwing error by the SXU pitcher in the top of the sixth inning.
- Nichole Kirkpatrick (FR/South Bend, Indiana) was dominant as she held the Cougars to just two hits to earn her sixth win of the season.
- Boss and Astell each finished with three RBI in the win.
Game 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Brittany Probasco (JR/Hobart, Indiana) launched a solo home run in the top of the second to give the Titans a 1-0 lead but SXU answered in the bottom of the third to tie the game at one.
- The Cougars busted the game open scoring six runs in the bottom of the fourth and one in the bottom of the fifth to take an 8-1 advantage.
- After a run in the bottom of the sixth inning the game was called due to the eight-run rule after five innings.
- Kat Witting (JR/Lynwood, Illinois) finished 2-for-2 in game two and 4-for-6 on the day.
- IU South Bend will travel to Calumet College of St. Joseph on Wednesday. First pitch is set for 4:00 p.m.