Joliet, Ill. – Despite having nine hits, the Indiana University South Bend baseball team couldn't push any runs across leaving seven runners stranded in a 5-2 loss to the University of St. Francis. The Fighting Saints completed the series sweep after taking two games from IU South Bend last night.
Game 1: USF def. IU South Bend. 5-2
Records: IU South Bend, 9-15, 2-5 CCAC | USF 20-12, 5-1 CCAC
Location: Joliet, Illinois | Silver Cross Stadium
Game 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- Trailing 1-0 heading into the fifth inning, Brandon Papp (JR/Akron, Ohio) and Chris Mangus (SR/Niles, Michigan) put the Titans in front with RBI singles to make it a 2-1 game.
- In the bottom half of the fifth the Cougars pushed two across via a wild pitch and an error to regain the lead, 3-2.
- IU South Bend threatened in the sixth but left two runners on as the score remained 3-2.
- St. Francis tacked on a run in the sixth inning to extend its lead to 4-2.
- After a leadoff single in the top of the eighth Nick Kellams (JR/Dyer, Indiana) grounded into a double play and Sammy Nieves (SR/Canovanas, Puerto Rico) struck out to end the inning.
- The Fighting Saints added an insurance run in the eighth inning by way of a throwing error on a double play attempt.
- Kevin Phelps (SR/Portage, Michigan), Mangus, and Papp each recorded two hits.
- IU South Bend starter Ben Wicklund (JR/Rockford, Illinois) went seven innings allowing four runs on nine hits and striking out five.
- IU South Bend will host Judson University on Tuesday at School Field. First pitch is set for 4:00 p.m.