SOUTH BEND, Ind. – The Indiana University South Bend baseball team snapped its five-game skid on Friday evening as they defeated the Tigers of Olivet Nazarene University in game one of the three-game set.
Game 1: IU South Bend def. ONU, 5-1
Records: IU South Bend, 10-15, 3-5 CCAC | ONU 17-14, 6-4 CCAC
Location: Lakeville, Indiana | Newton Park
Game 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- IU South Bend brought 10 guys to the plate in the bottom of the first inning as they plated five runs on four hits. Zack Lazenby (JR/Chesterfield, Missouri) scored two on an RBI double down the right field line.
- Bryan Klendworth reached on a two-out hit by pitch and later scored on a Ben Hill RBI double to put the Tigers on the board in the top of the fifth inning.
- Brandon Papp (JR/Akron, Ohio) made a diving catch with runners on the corners in the top of the sixth inning to keep the score 5-1 in favor of the Titans.
- Papp was cut down at the plate after an Austin Thomas (SO/Crown Point, Indiana) single to end the seventh inning, keeping the score locked at 5-1.
- IU South Bend starter Ben Wicklund (JR/Rockford, Illinois) picked up his second win of the year as he tossed six innings, allowing five hits and one run.
- Thomas finished 2-for-3 with an RBI in the win.
- Chris Mangus (SR/Niles, Michigan) and Lazenby each recorded two RBI.
- The Titans and Tigers will close out the three-game series with a doubleheader on Saturday. First pitch is scheduled for 12:00 p.m. at Newton Park.