LAKEVILLE, Ind. – The Titans held off a late Olivet Nazarene University surge on Saturday as IU South Bend won the series finale to claim a 2-1 series victory at Newton Park.
Game 1: ONU def. IU South Bend, 5-4
Game 2: IU South Bend def. ONU, 9-8
Records: IU South Bend 11-16, 4-6 CCAC | ONU 18-15, 7-5 CCAC
Location: Newton Park | Lakeville, Indiana
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Tigers got on the board first in the top of the second inning when Sam Kippen blasted a homerun over the centerfield wall.
- ONU tacked on a run in the fourth and a run in the fifth to take a 3-0 lead.
- Two wild pitches by ONU starter Adam Schoenle allowed Tanner Wesp (FR/Charlestown, Indiana) to score the first run of the game for the Titans.
- A two-run homer by Tyler Fisher in the sixth inning extended the Tiger lead to 5-1.
- Chris Mangus (SR/Niles, Michigan) launched his team-leading sixth home run of the year, a three-run shot in the bottom of the seventh to pull the Titans within a run.
- A groundout ended the Titans threat as they fell 5-4.
- Trey Bickel (SR/Mishawaka, Indiana) earned the loss for the Titans giving up five runs on eight hits and striking out a career-high 12 batters.
- IU South Bend was held to just two hits in the loss.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Josh Fry (SO/Mishawaka, Indiana) and Wesp combined for four RBI in the first inning as the Titans put up six runs on ONU starter Wes Tobin.
- Brandon Papp (JR/Akron, Ohio) reached on an error and later stole third and would score on a Chris Mangus double to extend the Titan lead to 7-0 after two innings.
- The ONU bats came alive in the fourth inning as they plated three runs to cut into the IU South Bend lead.
- An inning later the Tigers score three more, two of which came off another Kippen homer.
- A sacrifice fly from Brian Klendworth evened the game at seven after six complete innings.
- Kevin Phelps (SR/Portage, Michigan) scored the go-ahead run in the seventh on a Spencer McCool (SO/Anderson, Indiana) single to center field.
- Wesp hit his second homerun of the game which would prove to be the game-winning run in the bottom of the eighth inning.
- Olivet Nazarene threatened in the top of the ninth inning scoring a run aided by two errors from the Titans.
- Reliever Zane Gonzalez (JR/Grand Rapids, Michigan) tossed 3.2 inning earning the win allowing one run on three hits.
- Phelps and Wesp each finished with three hits.
- Fry finished with three RBI while Matt Miller (FR/Middlebury, Indiana) and Wesp had two.
- IU South Bend will face Judson on Sunday at 2pm at Newton Park