HAMMOND, Ind. – Indiana University South Bend split a pair of slugfests with the Pride of Purdue University Northwest on Saturday afternoon. There were a combined 52 runs scored and 54 hits in the twinbill.
Game 1: PNW def. IU South Bend, 11-10
Game 2: IU South Bend def. PNW, 16-15
Records: IU South Bend 12-22, 5-12 CCAC | PNW 18-14, 11-6 CCAC
Location: Hammond, Indiana | Dowling Park
Game 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- An eight-run third inning featuring two-RBI hits from Nick Kellams (JR/Dyer, Indiana), Tanner Wesp (FR/Charlestown, Indiana), and Chris Mangus (SR/Niles, Michigan) put the Titans up 8-2.
- Wesp belted a two-run blast in the fourth to give IU South Bend a 10-2 advantage after three and half innings.
- In the home half of the fourth, PNW answered with three runs on a three-run shot from Albers to cut the Titan lead to 10-5.
- A back-breaking sixth inning from the Pride costs the Titans a win as PNW scored six runs, four of which came on two two-run home runs.
- Kevin Phelps (SR/Portage, Michigan) reached in the top of the seventh on a hit by pitch but the potential game-tying run was picked off at first base to end the threat.
- Mangus continued his terror with three hits and three RBI.
- Reliever Zane Gonzalez (JR/Grand Rapids, Michigan) earned the loss giving up the go ahead two-run home run in the bottom of the sixth.
Game 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- The Titans jumped out to an early 5-0 lead in the first frame. Matt Miller (FR/Middlebury, Indiana) launched a two-run home run in the big inning.
- IU South Bend starter Tyler Reece (SO/South Bend, Indiana) allowed six runs in the third and fourth inning as PNW took a 6-5 lead.
- The offense got Reece off the hook as Miller launched his second two-run home run of the game as part of a four-run inning to put the Titans back in front 9-6.
- Over the middle three innings the Pride scored five runs but the Titans put up another five runs in the top of the sixth to take a 14-11 lead after six complete.
- Austin Thomas (SO/Crown Point, Indiana) singled up the middle, picking up two RBI in the eighth to give the Titans a 16-12 edge.
- A PNW run in the bottom of the eighth cut the Titan lead to just three, 16-13.
- The Pride got within a run in their final at-bat but IU South Bend reliever Brett Bashaw (SO/Kalamazoo, Michigan) was able to close the door for the one-run Titan victory.
- Miller finished the game with a career-high four hits and five RBI.
- Gonzalez made another appearance picking up the win in game two, tossing 3.1 innings.
- IU South Bend will host Robert Morris on Tuesday at Newton Park. First pitch is scheduled for 4:00 p.m.