SOUTH BEND, Ind. – With Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference Tournament hopes on the line, the Indiana University South Bend softball team faced (RV) Olivet Nazarene in their regular season finale on Thursday afternoon at Potawatomi Park.
Game 1: Olivet Nazarene def. IU South Bend, 7-6 (8 inn.)
Game 2: Olivet Nazarene def. IU South Bend, 7-0
Records: IU South Bend 14-20, 9-15 CCAC | ONU 28-10, 19-5 CCAC
Location: South Bend, Indiana | Potawatomi Park
Game 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- ONU took an early 2-0 lead as they plated a run in each of the first two innings.
- IU South Bend took a 4-0 lead after a four-run third inning highlighted by a three-run double from Brittany Probasco (JR/Hobart, Indiana).
- The Tigers took advantage of an IU South Bend miscue in the fifth inning and scored three run, two of which were driven in by a Miranda Southall double to give ONU a 5-4 lead.
- ONU extended its lead to 6-4 in the seventh inning.
- Down to their final three outs, the Titans were able to push two runs across aided by an ONU error that allowed two runs to score, tying the game at six.
- A sacrifice fly for the Tigers in the top of the eighth proved to be the game-winning run as the Titans were retired in order in the home half of the inning.
- Nichole Kirkpatrick (FR/South Bend, Indiana) threw all eight innings and took the loss.
Game 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Olivet scored three runs in the first inning and four in the third inning to take a 7-0 lead.
- ONU reliever Jamie Kiefer came on in the second inning and silenced the Titan bats.
- IU South Bend left four runners on base over the last two innings.
- The Titans committed five errors in the loss
- Kirkpatrick was 2-for-3 at the plate in the loss.
- Delaney Cole (FR/Osceola, Indiana) tossed four innings allowing no runs and just one hit.
- Shannon McCarty (SO/South Bend, Indiana) tossed three inning and allowed seven runs on seven hits.
- The Titans finished their inaugural season with an overall record of 14-20 and a CCAC mark of 9-15.