LAKEVILLE, Ind. – The Indiana University South Bend baseball team earned two much needed wins on Monday night as they hosted Calumet College of St. Joseph in a doubleheader with CCAC tournament hopes hanging in the balance.
Game 1: IU South Bend def. CCSJ, 5-1
Game 2: IU South Bend def. CCSJ, 18-7
Records: IU South Bend, 21-24, 13-14 CCAC | CCSJ 7-43-1, 2-24 CCAC
Location: Lakeville, Indiana | Newton Park
Game 1 HIGHLIGHTS
- After a leadoff walk and a stolen base, an RBI double gave CCSJ a 1-0 lead in the second inning.
- IU South Bend matched the Crimson Wave in the bottom of the second when Tanner Wesp (FR/Charlestown, Indiana) reached on a fielder's choice and advanced to second on an error. Josh Fry (SO/Mishawaka, Indiana) beat out an infield single and Wesp scored to even the game at one.
- Sammy Nieves (SR/Canovanas, Puerto Rico) blasted his fourth homerun of the year, a two-run shot to put the Titans in front 3-1 after three complete innings.
- Fry and Drew McDonald (SO/North Liberty, Indiana) each picked up RBI's in the bottom of the sixth inning to extend the IU South Bend lead to 5-1.
- Trey Bickel (SR/Mishawaka, Indiana) struck out the side in the sixth and the leadoff man in the seventh and induced a 6-4-3 double play to end the game in the seventh.
- Bickel finished with nine strikeouts to earn his fourth win of the year.
- Fry and McDonald each went 2-for-3 in the win.
Game 2 HIGHLIGHTS
- Nieves gave the Titans a 2-1 lead in the first inning with an RBI single. Nieves later scored on a wild pitch to add to the IU South Bend lead.
- With a 3-1 lead, Chris Mangus (SR/Niles, Michigan) sent a ball over the scoreboard in the second inning, a three-run blast to extend the Titans lead to 6-1.
- Calumet St. Joseph got a run back in the third inning but the Titans picked up a run in the bottom of the third on a Spencer McCool (SO/Anderson, Indiana) single to make it 7-2.
- Three runs from the Crimson Wave in the top of the fourth made it a 7-5 game.
- An offensive explosion in the fourth inning, which included nine runs on 10 hits, busted the game open for the Titans. Mangus launched his second homer of the contest, this time a two-run shot.
- Tanner Wesp and Matt Miller (FR/Middlebury, Indiana) each picked up two RBI while McDonald drove in a run in the big inning.
- McDonald added another RBI to his productive night in the fifth to make it 17-5.
- The Crimson Wave put up two runs in the sixth but the Titans added another run when Wesp doubled to deep center in the sixth.
- Senior Luke Gaboury (SR/South Bend, Indiana) shut the door in the top of the seventh as he allowed just one base runner in the inning.
- Wesp finished 4-for-5 with three RBI while Mangus finished 3-for-5 with five RBI.
- The Titans and Crimson Wave will close out the regular season with a nine inning contest on Tuesday night in Whiting, Ind. First pitch is set for 8:30 p.m. EDT.